Wight Vodka's annual voting competition for the world's best yachting bar is one of our favorite events! This year, while The Dog Watch in Stonington, CT, the Clubhouse Yacht Club in Breskens, Holland, Nippers of Great Guana Cay in the Abacos, the Bitter End Yacht Club in the BVI, the Royal Varuna Yacht Club in Pattaya, Thailand, the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club, Salty Mike's in Charleston, S.C., the King & Queen in Hamble, England, and the Pier View in Cowes on the Isle of Wight were all top vote-getters, it was the International Yacht and Athletic Club (IYAC) in Newport, RI, that took top honors by readers of Scuttlebutt Europe.
Scuttlebut readers were asked to vote and to comment about their favorite bar, which elicited some pretty interesting replies:
• This place is known as the drinking bar with a yachting problem.
• The bar supports the club…and vice versa!
• You never know if you’re going to see someone in a wedding dress or a swimsuit.
• The commitment of the owners and patrons to several major charity events, including being founders of ‘Sail for Pride.’
• The only pub where you find the rock stars, pro sailors and keen weekenders mixing it up together.
• Major respect to the great Jan! Pubs like this are definitely what Sundays are made of.
• $2.00 Bourbon Nights…Ooooh to be young again!!
• It’s a short walk for drinks after sailing.
• It’s walking distance back home!
Previous winners include Peter Cafe Sport in the Azores - 2009, and Soggy Dollar in the BVI - 2010. This year's winner, IYAC, will receive a trophy and a bottle of Wight vodka to celebrate. So if you're in Newport for the upcoming America's Cup World Series, put IYAC on your must-see list!